The social network that celebrates Latin food
Here's a light and simple, budget-friendly vegetarian Black Bean Soup recipe. Learn the trick to cooking dried beans like a BOSS.
Black bean soup Ingredients
* 1/2 pound (1 cup) dried black beans
* 1 tablespoon oil
* 1 cup diced onion (about 1 medium onion)
* 1/4 cup diced jalapeno or bell pepper
* 2 tablespoons minced garlic
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 2 teaspoons dried oregano
* 1 teaspoon ground coriander
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro leaves and stems (plus more for garnish)
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (or more, to taste)
* 1 cup diced carrot (about 1 large carrot)
* 2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
* 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
For serving: sour cream, diced onion, cilantro, lime wedges
Instructions for soup
Sort beans, discarding any rocks, and cover with 3 cups water. Allow to soak overnight, then drain and rinse.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
Saute onion and jalapeno for 5 minutes or until softened and beginning to brown.
Add garlic, cumin, oregano, coriander, and allspice and fry 30 seconds.
Add drained beans, 4 cups of water, and cilantro.
Turn heat to high and bring to boil.
Cover and reduce heat to low and simmer 1 hour.
Check beans for doneness. You may need to cook them another 30 minutes to an hour depending on the age of the beans. If it seems dry, add another cup of water.
Once beans are cooked very soft, add salt.
Blend half the soup to a puree with an immersion blender if a creamy soup is what you want.
Add the carrot and simmer, uncovered, another 20-30 minutes until the carrots are soft.
Serve with garnishes. This can also be served over rice for a heartier meal.
Check out over 100 video recipes at http://hilahcooking.com
Save this video recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!