The social network that celebrates Latin food
6 guajillo peppers, stems and seeds removed
8 Roma tomatoes
1 medium white onion, peeled and cut into 1/4's
4 cloves of garlic, skins left on
1 large Anaheim pepper
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon mild chile powder
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, crushed
3 cups chicken broth
1 cup light cream
6 oz can tomato paste
1. In a large saute pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat, add the dried guajillo peppers and cook for just a minute or less per side. They will become aromatic, dark in some spots and slightly soft. Remove from pan and transfer to a plate, set aside.
2. In that same pan, add 1 more tablespoon of oil, add all the tomatoes, onions, garlic and Anaheim pepper. Cook until skins start to blister and darken in some spots, turning as needed (about 20 to 25 minutes). Remove from heat.
3. In a blender, add the guajillo peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic (skins removed), Anaheim pepper (stem and seeds removed), 1 cup of water, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Blend on high until smooth, less than 1 minute. Strain into a large bowl with a wire mesh strainer, using the back of a wooden spoon to push it through.
4. In a large soup pot, heat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat, add the tomato paste and season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and a pinch of pepper. Add the strained tomato mix, 3 cups of broth, cumin, chili powder, oregano and a pinch of salt and pepper, stir well to combine.
5. Slightly warm the light cream in the microwave and when the soup comes to a boil, slowly add in the cream, stirring the whole time. Reduce heat, cook for 20 to 25 minutes, tasting for salt as it cooks down. Before serving, add some fresh cracked pepper. Prepare the toppings while soup is simmering. To plate the soup, ladle in some soup into bowl, add two pieces of crostini, top with bay scallops, bacon, green onions, cilantro and another piece of crostini.... Enjoy!
Read further below for Soup Toppings!
Toppings for Soup
1 pound bay scallops, seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked at high heat in 2 tablespoons of olive oil (5 minutes)
6 strips of bacon, cooked until crisp, then diced
4 green onions, chopped
Small handful chopped cilantro
1 small French bread loaf, sliced and seasoned with olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic. Bake in preheated 375-degree oven for 10 minutes.
Other recipes by Sonia:
Mexican Red Rice
Cheesy Chorizo Bread
Pork Chile Colorado
Frijoles Borrachos con Chorizo
Pork Chile Verde
Lemon Pepper Chicken Fajitas
Chorizo Pozole Soup with Lime Pickled Red Onions
Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chip Chimichangas