The social network that celebrates Latin food
What’s not to love about tacos? A taco is a meal all wrapped up in a tasty tortilla: vegetables, filling meats or seafood, and a little starch to satisfy. Throw on a little salsa or guacamole and you’ve got a taste explosion. Hands down, my favorite food. Luckily, living in Southern California, we get everything from the traditional al pastor, carne asada or tacos de lengua to the fashionably dubbed “California Cuisine” that includes everything from ceviche to raw tuna.
What I’m into is tacos. The amazing Rick Bayless has a taco at one of his fantastic Chicago restaurants that inspired this one, turning one of my favorite foods into an appetizer that doesn’t ruin the main event. Marinating the shrimp, then grilling for added flavor, before adding delicious toppings is just the start. The “tortilla” here is jicama sliced thin on a mandolin makes for a light, crunchy, and cool wrap that’s perfect for summer. So grab a bag of frozen shrimp and you’ll always have a delicious and impressive appetizer on hand.
Serves 8-10 as an appetizer
1 lb shrimp (21/25 count)
3 limes, juiced
4 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon ancho chile powder
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup greens or cabbage in a chiffonade
Sliced cherry tomatoes, avocado, queso fresco or other toppings
Salsa de chipotle
1. Peel and devein the shrimp, pulling off the tail as well.
2. Combine lime juice, garlic, and spices in a bowl.
3. Add shrimp and marinate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, slice the jicama on a mandoline at the 1/8 inch setting, or with a very sharp knife. Prepare the greens and toppings on the jicama.
4. Thread shrimp on skewers and heat the grill on high or preheat an indoor grill pan over high heat.
5. Brush shrimp with olive oil or melted butter, and grill, 2 minutes on each side, or until they are pink and opaque throughout.
6. Top each jicama slice with lettuce or cabbage, then 2-3 shrimp and any additional toppings.
Other recipes by Carolyn:
Camarones a la Criolla (Shrimp Creole Style)
Pollo en Fricasé
Bistec Encebollado (Steak and Onions)
Coctel de Camarones (Shrimp Cocktail)
Tacos de Carnitas
Sopa de Lentejas (Lentil Soup)
Pan de Bono
Huachinango a la Veracruzana (Snapper Veracruz)
Mil Colones Stew
Mofongo Relleno de Camarones
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!