The social network that celebrates Latin food
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 inch piece of cinnamon stick
1 teaspoon anise seeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ cup sugar, plus 1 tablespoon
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup water
1½ cups finely diced fresh strawberries
½ cup white chocolate chips
1½ cups dulce de leche caramel (I use "La Lechera" brand)
1. In a large mug, combine the cinnamon stick, anise seeds and ½ cup water. Heat in microwave for 3 minutes, remove from microwave and let it steep.
2. In a large glass bowl, add the shortening and cook in the microwave for 1 to 1½ minutes, just until shortening is melted. Strain the tea and add it to the shortening, along with the salt, sugar, baking powder and stir gently. Gradually add in the whole wheat flour until the dough forms. Cover and let set for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or easy release foil paper, set aside.
4. Divide the dough into 18 balls. Line a tortilla press with wax paper, so it covers top and bottom. If you do not have a tortilla press, you can use a flat bottomed plate. Press the dough balls, one at a time and fill with 1 tablespoon strawberries, 1 tablespoon dulce de leche and about 6 to 7 white chocolate chips, fold over and pinch the edges to seal or use a fork to press and seal the edges. Transfer the empanadas to the lined cookie sheets. Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 28 minutes.
5. Cool empanadas completely before dusting with powdered sugar. Store in airtight container for 2 days. The empanadas will soften slighty after the first day.
Tips: To spread the dulce de leche, use a quart size freezer bag with the corner cut open, if you do not have a pastry bag. Easier to squeeze it onto the empanada. Empanadas can be frozen without the powdered sugar. Cool completely and store in a heavy freezer bag for up to 1 month. Reheat in preheated 375-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes.
Other recipes by Sonia:
Mexican Red Rice
Chile Relleno with Serrano Shrimp
Tacos al Pastor
Cheesy Chorizo Bread
Flank Steak Tacos
Frijoles Borrachos con Chorizo
Buffalo Chicken Flautas
Chile Garlic Shrimp Kabobs
Chicken Enchilada Soup with Chayotes
Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chip Chimichangas
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!