The social network that celebrates Latin food
The thing I love most about Pisto Manchego is that it is so... Spanish. The combo of roasted red pepper, eggplant, and zucchini with garlic, onions and spices goes by different names all over the Mediterranean sea -- ratatouille, briami... but whatever it goes by, the regional variations are minimal. Despite that, somehow, in true Spanish form, the beautiful veggie concoction just oozes with Castilian flair. Maybe it's the grilled bread underneath or the egg on top, but this tapa, side dish or light meal just works.
Some pisto recipes produce borderline pureed veggies, but this chunkier version holds the flavor and texture of the fresh vegetables. As an alternative to roasting, the veggies can be stewed on the stovetop, or are sometimes roasted whole (or halved) in the onion and chopped coarsely after cooking.
Serves 10 as a tapa or side dish
1 red bell pepper
1 red onion
1 Idaho potato, washed well, but not peeled
5 cloves garlic, cracked or coarsely chopped
1 can diced tomatoes
1 tbsp oregano
2 tsp spanish paprika
salt and pepper
1/2 pint cherry tomatoes
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Chop all the veggies (eggplant through potatoes) into small, bite sized pieces and saute over medium heat**. After cooking for about 2 minutes, add garlic and tomatoes. Sprinkle in spices, salt and pepper.
3. Remove vegetables to an oven-safe pan. Throw in the cherry tomatoes and roast veggies for 1 hour.
4. Preheat the grill and brush slices of bread with olive oil. Grill the slices until golden brown. When done, rub the bread just slightly with a whole clove of garlic.
5. Spoon pisto over the top of each slice.
6. Enjoy plain, or top each piece with a fried egg and some cracked black pepper or some manchego cheese.
Note: Work in batches using some vegetables, some of the garlic, and part of the tomatoes. Season each batch.
Other recipes by Carolyn:
Camarones a la Criolla (Shrimp Creole Style)
Pollo en Fricasé
Bistec Encebollado (Steak and Onions)
Coctel de Camarones (Shrimp Cocktail)
Tacos de Carnitas
Sopa de Lentejas (Lentil Soup)
Pan de Bono
Huachinango a la Veracruzana (Snapper Veracruz)
Mil Colones Stew
Mofongo Relleno de Camarones
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!