The social network that celebrates Latin food
1 lb. vegetable shortening
2 lbs. flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. salt
10 oz. very cold water
1 package of guava paste (photo)
(This is Conchita brand, but you can use the brand you prefer)
1. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients except the water.
2. Work the mixture until the shortening is broken up, resulting in a thick, pasty mass. Begin to add the water little by little until the dough no longer sticks to your hands.
3. Let the dough cool in the fridge for 15 minutes. After this, the dough will be ready to be worked and baked.
4. Split the dough in two parts, stretching them and cutting them in a circular shape the size of the mold you will use for baking.
5. Line the baking pan or mold with parchment paper (bakery paper). Place one of the two dough pieces on the bottom of the baking pan.
6. Fill with guava paste (or the fruit paste of your choice). Seal the edges tightly with your fingers.
7. Bake at 350º F for 30 minutes.