The social network that celebrates Latin food
This dish is akin to a "Mexican lasagna" with layered tortillas instead of pasta.
Yields 6-8 servings
18 corn tortillas (6” diameter)
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 liter water (4 cups)
1 medium Spanish onion, cut into quarters
3 garlic cloves
1 cilantro sprig
1 tablespoon salt
8 black peppercorns
2 pounds tomatoes, peeled and seeded
1 Spanish onion
4 garlic cloves
1½ teaspoons chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
1 cup (8 ounces) of leftover stock from the cooked chicken
1 tablespoon canola oil
Salt and pepper to taste
2 roasted Poblano peppers, seeds removed, cut into strips
1½ cups (12 ounces) Mexican cream
16 ounces Oaxaca cheese, cut into strips
1 avocado, cut into small dice
½ cup cilantro, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350ºF.
1. Place tortillas in three metal trays, spacing them, and bake for 30 minutes until toasted. Remove from oven and set aside.
2. In a large pot, add chicken, water, onion, scallion, cilantro, garlic, and salt and pepper. Cook partly covered for 30 minutes on medium heat. Remove chicken; let cool and shred. Set aside chicken and the broth in which it was cooked.
3. In a food processor, blend tomato, onion, scallion, garlic, chipotle and one cup of leftover broth.
4. In a large saucepan, heat one tablespoon canola oil at medium low heat. Add tomato sauce and cook for 8-10 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside ½ cup of sauce.
5. Mix the remaining sauce with the chicken.
6. Spray a 13½” x 9½”x 2” glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place 6 tortillas in the tray, next to each other, slightly overlapping.
7. Spread one layer of chicken over the tortillas, followed by a layer of Mexican cream, one layer of Oaxaca cheese strips, and one layer of Poblano chile strips.
8. Add a second layer of tortillas and repeat the previous step. Then add the six remaining tortillas, ½ cup of tomato sauce, and cheese. Press slightly with a spatula or any other flat utensil.
9. Bake at 350ºF for 20 minutes.
10. Remove from oven and, right before serving, garnish with the diced avocado and cilantro.
Watch Denisse make the Pastel Azteca with Chicken: http://bcove.me/68128iyn
Other recipes by Denisse:
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas
Pastelón de Yuca y Pollo
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican Shredded Chicken in Smoky Tomato Sauce
Venezuelan-style Chicken Pot Pie
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!