The social network that celebrates Latin food
Photo by Marisa Zanganeh
4 ripe mangoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 4-ounce can crushed pineapple, drained
2 ounces unsalted butter
4 ounces white sugar
1 teaspoon lime zest
8 ounces puff pastry dough, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 400º F.
2. Drain mango slices in a strainer for 20–25 minutes.
3. Melt butter in a 10-inch cast-iron frying pan at medium-low heat. Add sugar and melt until caramel-colored.
4. Add mango and pineapple to pan. Cook at medium-high heat until liquid evaporates, about 15 minutes. Sprinkle with lime zest, and compress mango and pineapple well.
5. Stretch pastry dough on a cold surface sprinkled with flour. Cut a 10-inch-diameter circle and place over fruit, covering the top of the pan. Make a small incision on the top, and cut a small circle in the center of the dough. Press dough to the border of the pan to seal in and cover fruit completely.
6. Bake 20–25 minutes or until dough starts to brown.
7. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes. Turn upside down on a plate.
Other recipes by Denisse:
Pastelón de Yuca y Pollo
Venezuelan-style Chicken Pot Pie (Polvorosa de pollo)
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
Pulled Chicken with Jalapeño-Honey Mustard Panini
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas