The social network that celebrates Latin food
½ cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
6 egg yolks
1 large whole egg
1 tablespoon aged rum (optional)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ cup sugar
½ cup (4 ounces) heavy cream
½ cup (4 ounces) whole milk
1½ cups (12 ounces) evaporated milk
8” round metal or glass baking pan
Preheat oven at 350°F
1. For caramel: Place sugar and water in a heavy pan. Mix and cook at medium heat until sugar is dissolved and acquires a light amber color. Cover the bottom of the custard pan with caramel and set aside.
2. Mix the first seven ingredients (six if you exclude the rum) in a blender. Add the heavy cream, whole milk and evaporated milk and continue mixing until an even consistency is reached.
3. Strain this mixture through a sieve and pour into the caramel-coated pan.
4. Place pan in a larger metal tray with ½” of water and bake, uncovered, for 35-40 minutes. The flan will be ready when an inserted toothpick or knife comes out clean.
5. Bring to room temperature before refrigerating. Cool overnight in the refrigerator or for a minimum of 4 hours.
6. Flip the flan out of the pan and onto a plate for serving.
Other recipes by Denisse:
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas
Pastelón de Yuca y Pollo
Tex-Mex Turkey Meatloaf
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican Shredded Chicken in Smoky Tomato Sauce
Venezuelan-Style Chicken Pot Pie
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!