The social network that celebrates Latin food
Yields 6 servings
Plantain Cups Ingredients:
3 large green plantains
Canola oil for frying
Special Equipment: plantain press designed to make cups
Heat oil to 360ºF.
1. Peel green plantains and cut into 2-inch chunks.
2. Fry the plantain pieces for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove the plantains and let cool for about 1 minute.
3. Using the plantain press designed to make cups, place fried plantains in the mold lengthwise. Press down firmly to form a cup. Cautiously remove the cup.
4. Re-fry the molded plantain in the hot oil until golden brown (2 to 3 minutes).
5. Remove the cups, drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt. When cool enough to handle, stuff with your favorite filling.
Shrimp Enchilado Ingredients:
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium Spanish onion, small dice
3 garlic cloves minced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 red pepper, deveined, small dice
2 plum tomato, skinned, seeded, small dice
¼ cup chardonnay
¼ cup tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined, cut in half
1 tablespoon cilantro, minced for garnish
1. Heat olive oil in a medium sauté pan. Cook onions, red peppers and garlic over medium heat for approximately 6 minutes. Add tomato and cook another 4 minutes.
2. Add wine, tomato sauce and red pepper flakes, bring to a boil. Add shrimp, salt and pepper to taste, lower the heat and cook covered, for 3 to 4 minutes or until the shrimp turn pink. Adjust seasoning.
3. Fill tostones cups, garnish with cilantro and serve immediately.
Other recipes by Denisse:
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Pastelón de Yuca y Pollo
Venezuelan-style Chicken Pot Pie (Polvorosa de pollo)
Paella Mixta (Mixed Seafood Paella)
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
Flan de la Abuela (Grandma's Flan)
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas