Spice It Up!
5 large eggs
1 can condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons water
First, prepare the caramel:
1. Place the sugar and water in a heavy bottom pan at medium-high heat until the mix caramelizes into a rich, amber color.
2. Remove from the heat. Pour the liquid caramel into a 9-inch cake or pie pan. Set aside.
For the Flan:
1. Heat the oven to 350ºF.
2. In a blender or electric mixer, combine the eggs, evaporated and condensed milk, pumpkin, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla and blend well for at least two minutes, until you have a smooth, homogeneous mass. Pass through a sieve.
3. Pour the mix into the cake pan. Place in a deep-sided pan and pour hot water to reach halfway up the sides of the cake pan.
4. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for at least an hour or until the flan jiggles slightly when shaken and a paring knife comes out clean when inserted in the center.
5. Remove the pan from the water and set aside to cool. Once cooled, refrigerate the flan until well chilled to allow setting.
6. To serve, unmold the flan by running a small paring knife along the inside of the pan. Cover the pan with a dish and flip.
Other recipes by Denisse:
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Pastelón de Plátano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna)
Pico de Gallo
Polvorosa de Pollo (Chicken Pot Pie)
Mexican-Style Grilled Corn
Paella Mixta (Mixed Seafood Paella)
Flan de la Abuela (Grandma's Flan)
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas