The social network that celebrates Latin food
Photo by Maria Zanganeh
Yields 6 servings
1½ pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into medium-size pieces
1½ pounds boneless chicken thighs, cut into medium-size pieces
Salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoons garlic powder
¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
1½ teaspoons achiote (annatto) powder
5 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups chicken broth
3 bay leaves
3 thyme sprigs
3 fresh oregano sprigs
2 carrots, cut into thin slices
7 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ Spanish onion, sliced thinly
½ red bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
½ yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into slices
3 celery sticks, cut into thin slices
1 jalapeño pepper, cut into thin slices
Special utensil: Glass pan
1. Season chicken with salt, pepper, garlic powder, paprika, annatto powder and two tablespoons of olive oil. Mix well.
2. Pour vinegar and chicken broth in a medium pot and add thyme, oregano and bay leaves. Cook at medium high heat until half a cup of the liquid evaporates (approximately 6-8 minutes).
3. In a deep pan, heat the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil on high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the flavors are sealed.
4. Once cooked, remove the chicken from heat and place in the glass pan. Place onion and carrot in the same pan in which you cooked the chicken and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat. Add a pinch of salt to bring out the onion’s juices. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute while stirring.
5. Add the bell peppers, celery and jalapeño. Mix and cook for 1 to 2 additional minutes. Pour the vinegar mixture on the vegetables and mix. Cook 1 more minute. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Pour vegetables and vinegar over chicken.
6. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for a minimum of 15-20 minutes at room temperature or up to 8-10 hours in the refrigerator. The longer it rests, the better it will taste.
Note: Escabeche keeps well. It may last up to a week in the refrigerator.
Watch the video: http://bcove.me/tl29jccp
Other recipes by Denisse:
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Pastelón de Plátano Maduro (Puerto Rican Lasagna)
Polvorosa de Pollo (Chicken Pot Pie)
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
Paella Mixta (Mixed Seafood Paella)
Flan de la Abuela (Grandma's Flan)
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas