Ingredients: (Makes 25-35 tamales)
25-35 dried corn husks
corn husk strips (for tying)
2 sticks butter
5 cups of chicken stock
1 and ½ cup sun-dried tomato paste
3 cans of 3.25 oz diced green chiles
4 cup maseca corn flour
24 oz. white sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- Fill a large bowl with warm water and soak corn husks until softened, about 30 minutes.
- In a large sauce pot melt butter under medium heat. Once melted turn off heat and mix in chicken stock, sun-dried tomato paste, and green chilies. Set aside.
- In an extra large bowl add the Maseca corn flour and using a wooden spoon slowly mix chicken stock mixture into the flour. Fold in grated cheese until completely combined.
- Assemble the tamales by using a rubber spatula to spread ½ cup to 1 cup of dough mixture onto the center of the corn husk. Gently fold one side of the corn husk to the other end (like a cigar) and tie a knot at the larger end with a thin strip of corn husk. Fold over the other side of the tamale, which will be the bottom end when placed in the tamalera.
- Fill a 16 qt. tamale steamer with water just below the fill line and place the steam tray on the rack. Carefully place each tamale standing up on the stream tray and bring water to simmer. Steam with the lid on for 90 minutes.
- Remove each tamale with tongs and let rest for a few minutes before serving it.
For more delicious IMUSA recipes visit http://www.imusausa.com.
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!