The social network that celebrates Latin food
Ingredients for Sweet Potato-Parmesan Filling:
1 large sweet potato
1 medium Russet potato
¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan
2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
¼ cup light cream or whole milk
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic
½ teaspoon pepper
1. Peel and dice the potatoes. Transfer to a saucepan, cover with water and add about 2 tablespoons of salt. Cook until fork tender.
2. Drain and transfer to a bowl, mash with a potato masher, adding cream or milk a little at a time. Add the dry spices and cheese first, stir well to combine. Taste for salt, adding just a pinch at a time, as needed.
3. These potatoes can be served as-is or use in this recipe to stuff the roasted peppers.
Preparing the Peppers:
5 large Anaheim peppers
2 cups of sweet potato-parmesan filling (see recipe above)
2 cups roasted corn and sun-dried tomato salsa (see recipe here)
4 slices of mozzarella, cut in half
½ cup Spanish-style chorizo, sliced into thin rounds
9x13 pan sprayed with Pam cooking spray
1. In a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat to medium heat. Lay the peppers in the skillet and cook until they start to blister a little. Turn as needed, cooking for about 20 minutes total time. Transfer to a plate and cover with a clean kitchen towel, set aside.
2. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Once peppers have cooled, remove any blackened and blistered skin off of the pepper. Carefully cut the pepper in half, lengthwise, remove the seeds. Fill each half with sweet potato filling, sprinkle with smoked paprika, top with half a mozzarella slice. Transfer the peppers to prepared pan, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
3. Towards the last 6 minutes of baking time, in a small saute pan, heat the Spanish chorizo on medium heat. Cook it, just until it starts to release its oils, remove from heat, set aside. When peppers are ready, remove from oven top with corn salsa and Spanish chorizo. Serve 1 pepper per person for appetizer or 2 peppers for a light meal.
Other recipes by Sonia:
Mexican Red Rice
Tacos al Pastor
Cheesy Chorizo Bread
Pork Chile Colorado
Frijoles Borrachos con Chorizo
Pork Chile Verde
Lemon Pepper Chicken Fajitas
Chorizo Pozole Soup with Lime Pickled Red Onions
Dulce de Leche and Chocolate Chip Chimichangas