The social network that celebrates Latin food
Charro Beans by Chef John Conley, owner of Salsa Brava
Makes 10-12 servings
Note: This recipe requires soaking the dried pinto beans (pictured) overnight in water.
3 cups dried pinto beans
3 cups water
1/2 pound bacon
2/3 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
1½ tablespoons mild red chile powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 tablespoon salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon white pepper
1. Soak beans overnight in water. Add more if necessary to completely cover the beans.
2. Cook bacon in a Dutch oven or heavy stockpot over medium-high heat until crisp. When done, remove bacon and set aside.
3. Add the onions, garlic and jalapeño and cook for 10 minutes.
4. Add the chile powder and cumin, and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Add half the water from the soaking beans to the stockpot and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add bacon and beans and remainder of water. Cover and cook on medium-low heat for about 1½ to 2 hours.
5. When done, add salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Save this recipe to your HK profile by clicking on the Favorite button below!