This traditional bread pudding recipe is courtesy of our friend, Puerto Rican chef Cielito Rosado. In trademark Cielito style, this recipe is simple and delicious.
1 lb. bread, cut up into small pieces (day-old bread also OK)
1 cup sugar
4 cups milk
2 cinnamon sticks
4 star anise
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon cinnamon powder
¼ cup raisins
maraschino cherries for decoration
caramel (procedure to make the caramel: In a baking mold, put a cup of sugar and 3 tablespoons of water. Hold pan over the direct heat until sugar begins to melt. Swing the pan side to side to cover the bottom and sides. Let cool until it hardens.)
1. In a saucepan, put the milk, sugar, cinnamon, anise and heat until it boils.
2. Strain and let cool.
3. Mix the milk and the bread.
4. Add the eggs and the rest of the ingredients.
5. Put the mixture in the caramelized mold and bake for an hour in a double boiler.
6. Let cool, remove from pan and decorate.
Photo and recipe courtesy of Cielito Rosado
Other sweet recipes by Cielito Rosado:
Casquitos de Guayaba (Candied Guava)
Delicadas de Limón
Tres Leches Cake
Searching for more good eats?