The social network that celebrates Latin food
Yields 8 servings
1 (3-pound chicken) cut into pieces, clean fat (breast cut into 8 pieces)
1 tablespoon oregano
2 teaspoons annatto (achiote) seasoning
5 cloves of garlic
4 sprigs of culantro
½ bunch of cilantro (leaves and some tender stalks)
7 sweet peppers
1 medium onion
1 small green pepper, seeded
1 small red pepper, seeded
Salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup canola oil
3 tablespoons tomato paste
4 cups long grain rice, washed
6 cups boiling water
Spanish olives stuffed to taste
Peppers into strips for garnish (optional)
1. Season chicken with salt and pepper, oregano and annatto powder. Mix well. Set aside.
2. In a food processor, blend the garlic, culantro, cilantro, sweet peppers, onion and red and green peppers. Set the sofrito aside.
3. Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat. Add chicken and let brown 3-4 minutes per side. Add the tomato paste, stir and cook 3 minutes over medium heat.
4. Add the sofrito to the chicken and cook 5-6 minutes, stirring. Place the chicken aside.
5. Add rice and stir well while cooking on medium high heat until it absorbs all the sofrito. Pour in the boiling water. Adjust taste and simmer, uncovered, on medium high heat until the rice is dry. Reduce heat and cover the rice. Let cook another 10-15 minutes. Add the chicken. Serve.
Other recipes by Denisse:
The Mexican Tamale: A Delight for the Palate
Pastelón de Yuca y Pollo
Venezuelan-style Chicken Pot Pie (Polvorosa de pollo)
Paella Mixta (Mixed Seafood Paella)
Cod in Tomato Sauce
Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
Flan de la Abuela (Grandma's Flan)
Shrimp Asopao with Pigeon Peas