Number of Servings: 8
4 tbsp unsalted butter
2 medium onions, chopped
2 tsp minced garlic
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
pinch ground cayenne pepper (optional)
3 (15-ounce) cans pumpkin
5 cups chicken broth
2 cups milk
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 ounces pumpkin seeds
1. Melt butter in a 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions
and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened.
2. Add spices and stir.
3. Add pumpkin and 5 cups of chicken broth; blend well. Bring to a
boil and reduce heat, simmer for 10-15 minutes.
4. Use an electric hand blender, or a regular blender and blend
5. With the soup on low heat, add brown sugar and mix. Slowly add
milk while stirring to incorporate. You might want to add a
teaspoon of salt.
6. Serve in individual bowls and garnish by adding cream in center
and sprinkle the top of each with toasted pumpkin seeds. If too
spicy, add more cream to cool it down.
Toasting the pumpkin seeds:
1. Toss pumpkin seeds in vegetable oil or melted butter.
2. Sprinkle salt, garlic powder, pepper or other seasoning.
3. Bake at 250 to 275 degrees, stirring them every 5 minutes, until