5 local red skin potatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes (or whatever is
3 cloves garlic, chopped
5 cups homemade vegetable broth (recipe to follow)
6 roasted chipotle peppers, sliced in 1/3-inch chunks
1 cup sweet corn
3 portobello mushrooms, chopped roughly
1 tsp plain yogurt, cilantro, or avocado for garnish
1. Add potatoes, garlic, and broth to a large pot and raise to high
2. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then turn down the heat to
medium with the top on.
3. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, and then use an
immersion blender to combine. If you don’t have an immersion
blender, combine in small batches in a food processor.
4. Add the peppers, corn, and mushrooms.
5. Top with chosen garnish.
Homemade Vegetable Broth
6 pounds of available vegetables, chopped roughly (celery, onions,
beets, carrots, and tomatoes all work well)
4 cloves garlic
1 gallon water
1 bay leaf
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Spread the roughly chopped vegetables and garlic out on a cookie
sheet and roast for about 20 minutes.
3. Bring the water to a boil and add vegetables.
4. Add the bay leaf and cook until the water is reduced
5. Drain out the vegetables.
Recipe by Hispanic Kitchen member Sara